Monday, April 9, 2012

Cheap (really cheap) DIY Wall Art

I had another blank wall that glared at me as I walked up the stairs - so naturally, I started thinking up ways to make it look somewhat nice looking and cozy. I found this inspirational wall art idea on Houzz -
(which, is a great site by the way- and a bonus DIY section!)



What a genius way to use .... toilet paper rolls! I decided to throw in some scrap wood from my shelving unit project and this is what I came up with:



It took me a few weeks to collect enough toilet paper (and paper towel rolls) for this. I treated the wood with some wood stain I had lying around to give it a more polished look. I cut the toilet paper rolls in one inch pieces and used Elmer's glue. I used clothes pins to hold the pieces together as they dried.

Once dried I gave them all a couple coats of silver spray paint. I hammered tack nails on the wood boards so that I could hang the "leaf units" after I installed the boards onto the wall. This took about 15 minutes to assemble once I figured out what I liked.

I actually ended up making another one, since this guy looked a little lonely up there. I will have to take a new picture displaying both and post it on here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment