Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY Patio Furniture

Furniture can be really expensive...not that I am complaining. I do have a general understanding of how products are costed, but even with that justification, its does not increase my eagerness to spend money.

I wanted outdoor furniture that could seat 3-4 people, but I did not have room for multiple chairs and a table (which I did find some good deals on), it would just look too cluttered. I also wanted to have something I could lay on, to read a book, or better yet, browse Pinterest, while enjoying nice weather. I started shopping for patio sectionals and my options were either out of my budget or too big for my screened patio.                                           

My DIY inspiration: (click to see other examples of pallet furniture)














This site is one of many showcasing the genius of recycling/upcycling used shipping pallets. Lucky for me, the company I work for just so happens to be a manufacturing plant. This was clearly, meant to be.

There were shipping pallets everywhere! Of course, I asked the warehouse manager if I was allowed to take some, before I shoved them in my Prius. Don't let the Prius fool you, You can fit almost ANYTHING in that thing.

DIY Patio Sectional Check List:
  • Shipping Pallets (I got 4, and stacked them like the picture above, but I found different sizes!)     
  • Paint (I used spray paint )
  • Cushions (and accent pillows)
  • Free Weekend (or two, or three if you are extremely busy/procrastinator)

Step 1:  THIS IS IMPORTANT, especially if you find used wooden pallets. Grab a hammer and/or pliers to rid the used pallets of any nails that are rusted and sticking out. Wouldn't want to get poked or stub a toe on one of those suckers.
Step 2: Look over the wood and used sand paper or wired wool to smooth over any rough/splintered edges.
Step 3: Grab a damp rag and clean/dust off the pallets. I also had to vacuum, since the pallets had been sitting outside for a few weeks and accumulated some dirt and.... cat hair.

Step 4: Prime and Paint the pallets with the color of y our choice! Then let dry.  

Rustolem Slate Blue

 












Step 5: Add Cushions* (see more details below)

Step 6: Pat yourself on the back for being frugal and creative (optional).


*I decided to make my own cushions-because I am cheap, and most importantly, I just wanted something temporary that I wouldn't stress out about if it got messed up. I am no seamstress, but I found this awesome tutorial through Pinterest for pillow mattresses, and thought it would make great seat cushions as well!


U Create DIY Pillow Mattress
















I found standard size pillows from Target and Walmart $2.50! For the cushion covers, I used burlap - because it is super cheap (about $3.00 per yard) however, with my inexperience with textiles, it was a challenge to work with, but I loved the look of it! Its a great alternative to expensive outdoor fabrics.

Natural burlap is tricky, because it frays and sheds. Boy does it shed! You will have little fibers everywhere, days after your project is complete and have vacuumed and swept like crazy. You're welcome for the warning.



My pre-shrunk burlap (trimmed and ironed),
with standard size pillows
If you decide to work with burlap, use some of these tips before sewing any of your projects, if you plan on washing your final product in the future due to stains or dirt.
  • Wash in cold water with fabric softener- I found the more I washed it, the less it shed.
  • Trim your frayed edges before preshrinking it in the dryer (During your dry cycle - make sure you frequently empty out the lint tray - it WILL get full a few times)
  • After dry, and measuring/cutting our your pattern: use fray check on your ends and seams to prevent future fraying
  • 
  • Use upholstery or a heavier thread when sewing - I used hemp upholstery thread the same color of the burlap and you can't see any of the stitching. So even if I didn't sew in an exact straight line (and I assure you, I didn't) - no one can tell!
  • Use an upholstery or denim needle when sewing with thick fabrics


I also treated my cushion covers with Scotch Guard, since they will be outside exposed to moisture, dirt, and my four legged kids. The total cost of the project was around $60 (just for the burlap fabric, paint, standard pillows, and scotch guard).


Taaa Daaa! I think it turned out fantastic. Nothing fancy, but it's nice looking and functional:

Don't mind my pets, they insisted on being in the pictures.
Accent pillows:  IKEA and Target
"RELAX" wall art: Home Goods
Centerpiece : Dollar Store items - Succeulent plants from Walmart

String Lights- Target
Curtains and coffee table: IKEA

Outside View
  
The patio decorating is still in progress - I want to make some plant stand tables and shelving on one of the bare walls. Come back to see those projects later!

No comments:

Post a Comment