Monday, May 21, 2012

DIY Necklace Organizer

Since I have moved, all of my necklaces/accessories have been living in a shoebox. I was going through my jewelry this weekend, and got very frustrated with all of the chains that got tangled. So, I decided I needed to come up something that would separate and organize them.

In my old apartment, I used tacks inside the wall of my walk-in closet and hung them there, but I didn't want to do that again. I remembered I had left over cup holder hooks and wood boards from previous projects so I got to work on this DIY project. This took about 45 minutes to assemble.

I had two scrap 11 inch boards that I sanded. I knew I wanted a "weathered" texture to it, so I tried this new trick I picked up, by using a candle. You rub a candle against the edges or details of your wood piece and then paint over it. After the paint dries you use sand paper or wire wool and the paint will "peel" off the areas there are wax, creating a distressed finish.




I mixed a few colors of green to match my mint
colored curtains


After the paint dried, and distressing was completed, I measured and marked with a pen where I wanted to insert the hooks. I pre-drilled holes with a drill bit one size smaller than the hook screw size. Then I screwed in the hooks with ease.


I installed the wood boards with two wood screws onto the wall, then painted over them so they would blend in with the rest of the board.

Hang your necklaces and now I have a tangle free, organized display of my jewelry!



No comments:

Post a Comment